Vacation Bible School is one of the biggest outreach events of the summer for many churches, but it sheldom has the long-term success that a church wishes it had. This podcast shows you why and gives you some great print resources you can share with your churches to help them make the most of not only VBS, but other events where they do outreach to a community that doesn’t understand what the church does on a regular basis.
Show Notes For Make Vacation Bible School More than a Happy Memory
• Welcome to the Sell to Churches Podcast
• I’m Yvon Prehn and
• This podcast will help you be more effective in selling RISO Printing equipment to churches
• This is Episode #3 Make Vacation Bible School More than a Happy Memory
• Let’s get started….
VBS or Vacation Bible School
• Is one of the biggest events of the summer for churches
• It is a week of ½ day Bible classes, games, and fun
• It is also usually one of the most important outreach times for a church where they can invite people from their communities to come bring their kids to the church
The hope and the disappointment of VBS • Churches usually get a BIG turnout for VBS, the kids have a fantastic time and at the closing program the parents always thank the church and say really nice things about it.
• The church congratulates itself and is excited that all these new people will be showing up to church, specifically their Sunday morning program for kids next week
• Sunday comes around
• And often so does disappointment because few to none of the kids involved in VBS show up
What went wrong and how You & RISO can help fix it
• Challenge your church clients in this way—ask them:
• If you picked a person from the neighborhood who was totally unfamiliar with your church and you asked them, “what does our church do on Sunday morning for children?”
• How do you think they’d respond?
• You’d usually get a blank stare, wouldn’t you? Because they have no idea what you do on a regular basis.
• Why do you think it is any different if you expect the parents of children who went to VBS to have ANY IDEA what you do regularly on Sunday morning?
• For the church staff putting on VBS that’s difficult to imagine, but it’s true and though you want people to so love VBS they will bring their kids back on Sunday to your children’s program and begin a relationship with the church, this won’t happen unless you are intentional about it
How to connect with parents so kids will come back next week
• Churches have their contact information from the sign-ups for the kids and you can use that for. . . .
• Printed invitation and information flyer
• At the end of VBS, most churches have a program and often everyone in the extended family shows up to watch the cute kids perform. Obviously you want to invite families back to the church, but if you only have a verbal invitation, they won’t remember it—the cute kids are what have their attention. Give them a refrigerator reminder, flyer that has a message something like this:
Did your kids have a great time this week?
We know they did and want you to know this is just a sample of the great things that are happening each week at our church for your children!
We’d love to have you attend! Here are some of them (either listed on this page or on the back).
Please contact our Children’s Director (phone, text, email—and be sure the person is committed to answering) for more information.
Pair this with a postcard
• Postcards are still one of the very best ways to advertise something and to remind people to come to an event because the refrigerator is still communication central for every home. You can take EXACTLY the same flyer above and turn it into a postcards.
• Hand it out and then mail it out a few days later.
• Good marketing and communication requires repetition and this is a great way to do it.
• Below are 3 sample flyers both for the digital duplicator and the ComColor printer that you can print off and take to your churches. CLICK HERE to go to the page where you can download aPDF file and editable files for Microsoft Publisher
• These flyers were posted on the ECC site and this provides a great opportunity for you to go to the church and offer to personalize them as a demo for the church.
• Keep in mind that though these are great for follow up for VBS, this type of publications works well for any event that the church does as an outreach for children.
• Many families need repeated interactions and exposures to a church before they make a commitment to it and the RISO printing machines make it cost-effective for churches to do the printing needed to create repeated communications.
• Finally, Remember, this podcast and these resources are part of a long term process to develop you as a trusted resource for churches that will result in you successfully selling to churches.
• Listen every week to grow in your knowledge resources and skills.
• As always on these podcasts much more information, links, and resources are on www.selltochurches.com and www.effectivechurchcom.com
• Links to specific related resources on both sites will be in the Show Notes on the same page as this podcast
• Be sure to sign up for the newsletters on both sites so you’ll get immediate notification of new resources when they are posted.
• Until next time, this is Yvon Prehn your church lady, wishing you enthusiasm, perseverance, and success in selling to the church market!